Thursday, November 2, 2023

Some more bits and pieces

While I was browsing through my under water photos I decided there were some more that deserve posting. 
I've been seeing these odd small holes in the ground or in the rocks for years now, and have never figured out what they were. Now I dug a little deeper and again learnt a lot of new stuff. These are molluscs that bore theirselves into the rocks and only their intake and outtake openings are exposed. There are several species of them, quite different, but unfortunately the different part is buried and the holes look very similar. I still think this is Bryopa aperta, because of the limestone collar around its softer parts. I couldn't find neither English nor Slovene name for it.
And here I think are the Rocellaria dubia clams with straighter tubes and more clean figure of 8 shape. I could be wrong, of course. And also for these I couldn't find English or Slovene names. It's funny how a species that appears in such high numbers can stay under the radar for so long. By the way, the orange things belong to the boring sponge.
These snails are also often seen, but overlooked because they are maybe too plain. They belong to the family of Moon snails, their Slovene name is Marogasta popika (Natica hebraea).
Despite its colour this is a red algae called Twig algae or Bledi grmiček (Amphiroa rigida).
Another overlooked snail is the Turbinate monodont or Polž kotač ali Pegavka (Osilinus turbinatus), here the shell is inhabited by an hermit crab or rak samotarec.
This fall I was drawn to these fluffy beauties - the Pink bush algae or Kosmata alga (Wrangelia penicillata), maybe also because they are not easy to photograph. With so many little parts that are moving with the water my camera struggled to focus.
I already mentioned that I like Sea strawberries or Rožnate plaščarje (Sindyum elegans or Aplidium elegans), and that is also the reason why I took loads of photos of them. What surprised me was how different they were, I don't know why. But I'm sure that it is the same species on next three photos.


I was very frustrated with the big amount of not very sharp photos I made, to the degree where I already started to search for the new and better camera in net. But what I was seeing on many of my photos was the rainbow, which made me think that it could all be just because of the angle of the sun and poor light, even in the middle of the day. The angle of the sun at the end of September is the same as in middle of March. So I'm keeping my camera for now.
Since I read a lot about the limpets last year, I photograph them frequently. This is a Common limpet or Latvica (Patella spp.) and while photographing it I didn't even notice the  Common prawn or Žagasta kozica (Palaemon serratus) hovering above the limpet.
Few moments later I photographed another limpet only few centimeters away and what do you know - the same prawn wanted to be on this photo as well! Unfortunately I again didn't notice it...
This is just a pretty photo of Trumpet anemone or Marmornata morska vetrnica (Aiptasia mutabilis). Nex to it above right is probably a Mediterranean cone or Sredozemski stožec (Conus mediterraneus).
And I'm in dilemma about this one as well - I am sure it is a tunicate or sea squirt, but I think it could be Navadni kozolnjak (Ascidia virginea) based on its orange colour and whitish shoulders, rather than the Red squirt or Rdeči kozolnjak (Halocynthia papillosa) that I usually see and is darker red.
I don't think I have ever photographed this algae before. Even after some browsing through my books and internet I am not sure what it is.
There's still so much to learn.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment